Prannoy Roy speaks on NDTV’s brand recognition and its top ranking and then thanks Election Commission of India for its role in conducting elections and wants people to not question the EC’s integrity.
Winners of NDTV Indian of the Year 2013 Awards in different categories are as follows:
– Lifetime achievement: Sarod Maestro – Ustad Amjad Ali Khan
His family – Mrs Amjad Khan, Amaan and Ayaan also came on the stage and accompanied him.
Presenter: Dr. Prannoy Roy
– Young Philanthropist of the Year: Roshni Nadar (daughter and heir of Shiv Nadar, founder and chairman of HCL corporation)
Presenter: Soli Sarabjee (Indian jurist and former Attorney-General of India)
– Lifetime Achievement: Artist Satish Gujral (brother of former PM Inder Kumar Gujral)
Presenter: Rahul Bajaj (founder of Bajaj Auto)
– Technical Innovation in Film: Soundarya Rajnikanth Ashwin for her film Kochadaiiyaan
Presenter: Ranbir Kapoor. Her mother Latha Rajnikanth also accompanies her.
– Business Leader of the Year: Rajiv Bajaj, CEO of Bajaj Auto (son of Bajaj Auto founder, Rahul Bajaj)
Presenter: Actress Kangana Ranaut
– Unsung Hero of the Year Award: Lakshmi – Acid attack survivor
Presenter: S.K. Roy (chairman of Life Insurance Corporation (LIC) of India). Lakshmi is also honored by Michelle Obama earlier this year.
– Award for Public Service: Association of Democratic reforms (ADR) and Parliamentary research service (PRS)
Presenter: Aamir Khan
– Entertainer of the Year: Deepika Padukone
Presenter: Sarod Maestro -Amjad Ali Khan
– Actor of the Year: Kangana Ranaut
Presenter: Aamir Khan
– Bollywood Youth Icon: Ranbir Kapoor
Presenter: Dr. Prannoy Roy
– Sportsperson of the Year: P. V. Sindhu
First ever Indian woman to win a medal in singles at the World Championships in 2013.
Presenter: Deepika Padukone
– Collective award to former Election Commission chairs
Presenter: Dr. Prannoy Roy
Q&A and Quotes:
Amjad Ali Khan:
– When asked, whether he practice music every day ?
He replies that if Music is like Ocean then he is just a drop in that ocean. Music is the only strength. It can connect to God and also makes you feel connected with every religion of the world. All musicians are like a small family.. He is happy about young musicians in different fields of music. And says that encouragement is important and classical musicians under 40 yrs should be encouraged. One of his sons says that he is a friendly father but an overstrict teacher.
– Why she took a decision to work in philanthropy instead of working as a corporate honcho ?
She replies that starting early and going into Philanthropy was the good thing so she opted for it.
– When asked about about his political lineage ? (as his brother I.K. Gujral was former PM of India)
He replies that he chose Art as his provident though he admired his brother and family who were in Politics.
Soundarya Rajnikanth Ashwin:
First, Rajnikanth speaks via an AV and tells that he is very proud of his daughter after seeing the movie – Kochadaiiyaan that she directed. Rajni sir also says that also India will be proud of her.
She thanks her father and says her intention for making an animated film was to immortalize her Dad and therefore brought performance capture to India..
– When Ranbir is asked whether he can imagine himself to be immortalized in an animation film ?
Ranbir: praises Rajnikanth by repeating his name multiple times and doesn’t give an answer.
He also says that Rajni sir is timeless and says that animated movies are been celebrated all over the world and doesn’t want actors to be jobless because of them.
– Soundarya was asked on 3-D performance capture in movies ? How does it different from Cartoon ?
She replies that Animation is a process and actions are captured and then applied to create virtual reality.
His father, Rahul Bajaj accompanies him on stage.
When asked about the elections and economy,
He replies that when Indigo Airlines, Sun Pharma, and TCS are doing very well in different sectors thus he is not worried about economy and informs that it is all about having right strategies to succeed.
When asked, How did she fought back after the acid attack that happened during her teenage days ?
She replies that the attack happened in 2005 but she fought back. She even wanted to ban acid sale and also field a PIL (public interest litigation) in the supreme court. The supreme court released order for banning acid sale but acid is still available and can be bought. With her campaign – Stop Acid Attack, she had succeeded in the first step. She says that mentality needs to be changed and also upbringing needs to be improved. She says the victims are fighters and survivors are fighting for their rights. She shares about her recent experience where people have changed their mentality now and are proud of the survivors.
ADR and PRS:
– Jagdish Chokkar represented Association for Democratic reforms (ADR)
– Parliamentary research service (PRS): Their aim is to bring greater literacy about parliament and its functioning to MPs (members of Parliament).
– Madhavan from PRS speaks: Their objective is to strengthen the system from inside and the MPs take decision by knowing the nuances and consequences..
During the debate, Aamir Khan says that the political parties need to rise for ethical voting and suggests that only when people stop voting for candidates with criminal background then we will have fair mandate. He is saddened by criminalization of politics but still has hope.
Kangana: She is very flattered to attend and receive the award. She also informs that Aamir Khan has been a huge inspiration for her. She does not feel like an outsider. She also says that her past statements on stereotyping of heroines in films should not have been said as she didn’t intended to speak them. She speaks about her approach to acting which is Method Acting and because of that she is able to act in movies like Queen, Revolver Rani. She does not want to act in movies which degrade women.
Aamir says that he has background in films because of his father and uncle and that helped him for working in films but Kangana doesn’t have that background and he really admires Kangana’s excellence in films which is because of her own convictions and heart.
When asked, Are you a superstar ?
He first thanks Dr. Prannoy and says that Aamir Khan and Dr. Roy are superstars. He says that he is on the way to become a superstar and hasn’t arrived yet.
– role of producer, revival of RK Banner ?
Ranbir: He says that he is producing films with Anurag Basu and haven’t thought on RK banner yet. Regarding Besharam movie debacle, he accepts his own responsibility and says that his father should not be sorry for acting in that movie.
– When is he getting married ?
Ranbir: He believes in the institution of marriage and doesn’t comment further.
Then, a Oscar-style selfie pic with Deepika, Aamir, Ranbir, Prannoy, Vikram, Soundarya was taken.
Aamir asks Ranbir: What does he think before taking a shot ?
Ranbir: He says that his mind is blank and also does day-dreaming on the sets. Deepika steps in and says that Ranbir is a well-prepared actor.
Ranbir: asks Aamir to name the sexiest actress that he mentioned on a recent show (KWK) ?
Aamir replies Kangana and then hugs her.
Ranbir and Deepika then dance on the Badtameez dil song from the movie Yeh Jawaani Hain Dewaani.
Winner’s award presentation and speech Video Playlist: