Celebrate Ugadi with Pachadi. The people of Andhra Pradesh, Telangana and Karnataka are going to celebrate Ugadi festival on 6th April, Saturday. People usually make a lot of preparations well in advance with shopping, home decoration and food.
The festival day start with people wearing new clothes and make mouth watering Ugadi Pachadi, a special recipe made of 6 ingredients like raw mango, neem, tamarind, jaggery, chilli and salt. The special ingredients of the recipe signify that life is a mixture of sadness, happiness, anger, disgust, fear and surprise. So, the dish is made especially on this day to learn how to live life with varied emotions and stay composed during the tough or hard phase of life.
Ingredients of the recipe:
Raw mango-1, neem flowers- 1 tbsp, Jaggery- 2 tbsp, Tamarind – 20 gms, Salt ½ tsp and red chilli powder- 1/ 2 tsp, Raisins- 1 tbsp, roasted chana dal-1 tbsp, Honey- 1 tbsp, finely chopped coconut pieces- 2 tbsp.
Method of preparation:
1. Soak tamarind in half cup of water to make it soft. Now squeeze out all the pulp and keep aside.
2. Take the neem flowers in a palm and rub gently to separate the petals.
3. Peel the raw mango and cut into small pieces.
4. In a separate bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well. If you want to add water, you can add 1 cup of water to the mixture.
One can also make Puran poli, another delicious recipe to be eaten on Ugadi.
Chana dal- ½ cup, water, ghee- 3tbsp, cardamom powder- ½ tsp. Jaggery-1 cup. To make dough: wheat flour- 1 cup, Maida- 1 cup, salt-1/4 tsp, turmeric powder- 1 pinch, water and ghee-4 tsp.
Method of preparation:
1. Wash the chana dal and soak for 1 hour. Pressure cook for 4 whistles on a medium flame.
2. In a separate bowl, add wheat flour, maida, salt, turmeric and ghee. Mix well and add water as required to make soft dough.
3. In kadai, heat the ghee and add the cooked chana dal, jaggery and cardamom powder. Stir well and cook well till the mixture changes its color and becomes dry. Allow the batter to cool.
4. Make a small roti and do puran filling and roll out the roti.
4. Heat the tawa, cook the roti till golden brown with ghee on both sides.
Try the above recipes at home and enjoy the festival with your loved ones. We wish a wonderful and prosperous Ugadi.