NDTV India in association with Indian Cancer Society Delhi and Fortis Group of Hospitals is organizing a Cancerthon today for 8 hours from 12 PM onwards. The aim of the cancerthon is twofold spread awareness on cancer in India, and to raise funds for supporting child and young adults cancer treatment.
Some of the Cancer survivors who took part in the Cancerthon and Facts:
* Kanchan Daniel was diagnosed with cancer in the abdomen when she was 17 years old. She took to music, to fight her way through the cancer treatment. She performed Mariah Carey’s “Hero” at the Cancerthon.
* Ekta and Ajay – met as volunteers and got married; Punita Vats; Oraya Sayeed
* Childhood cancers mostly not Inherited and only 5 % of childhood cancers caused by inherited mutation according to Indian Cancer Society
* There are not even 4000 registered bone marrow donors in India. This is when we need millions. Please register for donating bone marrow. It is not dangerous, it is as simple as donating blood – According to Dr Naveen Dang, Leading Microbiologist.
* Stories of Cancer Survivors [Oraya] and Children Battling Cancer [Kushmeet]: Read at this page; Asking the Expert and School Connect Initiative details.
* More Details at NDTV Fortis Health4U Cancerthon Live Blog
Stars and Eminent People supporting the Cancerthon:
* Actors and Musicians – Salman Khan, Richa Chaddha, Minisha Lamba,Pankaj Udhas, Mohit Chauhan, Neeraj Sridhar, Kailash Kher; Ali Fazal; Diana Hayden and Kajol
* Priya Dutt – Former M.P; Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw – Chairman and M.D. of Biocon Limited, biotech company
– Support the treatment of Children and Young Adults Battling cancer. NDTV Cancerthon Donation page with more details, and actual online donation website at Indian Cancer Society, Delhi.
– All the donations are provided to Indian Cancer Society. It is a not-for-profit Community based Health Society dedicated to eliminating Cancer as a major health challenge. Read Cancerthon Donation Frequently asked Questions here.