Calcium rich foods. Our body needs calcium to keep the bones strong and healthy teeth. When our calcium intake is insufficient, your bones will become weak and more likely to fracture. This can result in osteoporosis. Since women are at a higher risk of osteoporosis, many doctors recommend that they consume more calcium rich foods and supplements especially after reaching menopause. It is always advisable to consume calcium with vitamin D as it may help to protect against breast cancer in pre menopausal stage. On the other hand, Kids need more calcium to support the bones as they are in the growing years. But, unfortunately many children and teens do not get enough calcium resulting in weak bones and dental problems.
One can include the below food items in their diet to improve the calcium levels in a body to make the bones strong.
1. Milk and Yoghurt: Good sources of calcium include dairy products. Milk and Yoghurt are an excellent source of calcium. They make the bones strong and healthy. Regular consumption of milk and yoghurt help a child to keep their teeth and bones strong.
2. Orange: It is a citrus fruit packed with Vitamin D. It improves the immune system of the body and absorbs the calcium intake in the body.
3. Almonds: Almonds are highly rich in calcium and proteins. This will reduce the risk of heart diseases. Soak few almonds at night and consume in the morning for better memory and healthy body.
4. Figs: They are loaded with potassium, fiber, magnesium and calcium. It is the best fruit one can have to remain fit and strengthening the bones, muscles of a body.
5. Green leafy vegetables: Spinach, broccoli, fenugreek and celery are high in calcium. Regular consumption of leafy vegetables protects from calcium deficiency like numbness in fingers and toes, muscle cramps, loss of appetite, and abnormal heart rhythm.
6. Sardines (fish): Sardines are a great source of calcium. They are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce inflammation and lower bad cholesterol.
7. Raagi: It is gluten-free and rich in fiber compared to any other grains that helps to weight loss and controls diabetes. It is packed with calcium, amino acids and Vitamin D and very beneficial for growing kids and can be given in the form of Raagi balls, Dosa, Hareera and Porridge.