Keep yourself warm and protected this winter: Chilly winter has already arrived and our body is experiencing changes in energy levels, metabolism and even preference in food. So, we are struggling a lot to keep ourselves warm by protecting externally with sweaters, scarves or applying cold creams and moisturizers on the skin.
It is equally important to protect our body internally and give good nourishment. During the winter season, our body generates lot of energy to keep us warm and make our immune system strong as the food is easily digestible in winter as compared with summer.
Cold chills can have an effect on both your physical and mental health, so you should eat these foods eat during winter:
1. Root vegetables: We have to consume lot of root vegetables like carrot, turnip, beetroot, sweet potato, onion and radish. These vegetables provide a warming effect on our body and give plenty of energy to carry out our work.
2. Dry fruits, Nuts: Dates, peanuts, almonds, sesame or pumping seeds are packed with nutrients like magnesium, iron and Zinc. Eating nuts everyday will prevent the dryness of our skin and also repair the chapped and cracked lips in cold days. We often feel joint pain or knee pain during winter due to exposure to cold. These nuts will lubricate the joint and are good for the bone health.
3. Green leafy vegetables: Leafy vegetables like spinach, parsley, cabbage, fenugreek leaves, spring onion are enriched with vitamin E and C that will boost our immune system and fight against infections.
4. Citrus fruits: We should have amla, lemon, and oranges during the winter season as they are rich in vitamin C. Sweet, juicy, and colorful, citrus fruits give a much needed dose of sunshine during wintertime to fight with cold and flu.
5. Spices: Ginger, turmeric, black pepper, cumin seeds, carom seeds, cinnamon should be regularly used during winters. They increase our body’s temperature and improve the blood circulation and digestion. Ginger and turmeric relieves throat inflammation, prevents cough and congestion.
6. Soup: Soup is winter’s perfect food with black pepper, cream and chicken. You can make chicken soup, hot and corn soup, vegetables soup that makes you feel relax internally.
7. Oatmeal: It provides essential nutrients that are high in zinc and soluble fiber to enhance immune function and digestion.